Knowledge of English

When you apply for a UK Visa, for most of the categories, you need to take English proficiency test approved for UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI) purposes known as IELTS or TRINITY COLLEGE. This applies to everyone coming from a non-English speaking country.

  • Spouse Visa: CEFR A1
  • FLR M (First application): CEFR A1
  • Extension of Spouse Visa: CEFR A2
  • Indefinite Leave to Remain, aka, ILR or Settlement: CEFR B1
  • Citizenship, also known as Nationality: CEFR B1
  • Tier 2 Visa: CEFR B1
  • Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur: CEFR B1
  • Student Visa at below degree level: CEFR B1
  • Minister of Religion: CEFR B2
  • Startup Visa: CEFR B2
  • Student Visa at degree level or above: CEFR B2

Who does not need to prove their knowledge of English

You do not need to prove your knowledge of English if you’ve completed a qualification equivalent to a UK degree in one of the following countries, or are from one of the following countries:

  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Australia
  • the Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Belize
  • Dominica
  • Grenada
  • Guyana
  • Ireland
  • Jamaica
  • Malta
  • New Zealand
  • St Kitts and Nevis
  • St Lucia
  • St Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • UK
  • USA

You also do not need to prove your knowledge of English if one of the following applies:

  • you’re a national of Canada
  • you’re applying to come to the UK for a study abroad programme as part of a university degree course in the USA
  • you proved your level of English in a previous visa application

© 2021 Wright Career Ltd.. All rights reserved | Design by Web Gurus